Thursday, March 3, 2011

a very vintage derby birthday

In less than 3 short months I will be the mother to a 2 year old little lady. Wow. How on EARTH did that happen? I swear it seems like just a few minutes ago I was planning her first birthday party extravaganza and it seems like only a few weeks ago that I was headed to the hospital to endure what surely can go down in the record books as the world's longest labor and delivery. (4 days. That's right I said 4 days!)

I've always loved planning parties and these little celebrations of birthdays for Kate have been by far my favorite :) You'll remember for Kate's first birthday party I planned a candy themed party. We had tons of yumm-o candy, cupcakes, and other sweet treats. The weather was less than desirable, cold and SO WINDY, but of course, we had no back up plan, so we just sucked it up and dealt with the hurricane force winds at the park! At least the sun was shining and the kids had a blast playing on the playground equipment. Since the weather is SO unpredictable in Kentucky during the spring months, I'm going to play it a little on safe side and plan for an indoor celebration this May 7th. If the weather cooperates I'll just scoot everything outside. The next dilemma is where to have this soiree? Of course, at this point, it's looking like having the party at our NEW house is out of the picture. That narrows it down to having the party at our current house (if we are still there) or maybe at my mom and dad's? They obviously have plenty of room (see my previous post) and I've been lucky enough to host a party or two under the trees at the farm.

So, on to the fun stuff. Themes! Decorations! What to wear?! By way of background, let me share with you a cute, little endearing story.

Scene: driving to the hospital on May 4, 2009 to be induced

Act 1: May 4, 2009

Husband: This is AWESOME! Kate is going to be such a lucky girl to have a birthday on Cinco de Mayo AND Derby at some point.

Me: I know, right? It will be awesome!

Act 2: May 5, 2009 (late in the day)

Husband: Well, okay, so Kate didn't make it on Cinco de Mayo, but that's okay, she'll still have a birthday that will eventually fall on derby. AWESOME!

Me: Yay. (Obviously disappointed that the induction medicine was not working and that I was still large and preggers and quite uncomfortable)

Act 3: May 6, 2009 (late in the day)

Huband: I mean, I'm starting to get nervous. If Kate doesn't get here soon she will NEVER have a birthday that falls on derby! So, you've got like 1 more day to have her, even if her birthday is on the 7th at least there will be a derby day on the 7th day of the week.

Me: I'm not real sure if I even said anything or was looking for a sharp object in the hospital room to stab him with. I could have cared less what day this child's birthday was going to fall on as long as it was coming SOON.

Act 4: May 7, 2011 (3:51 am) She's FINALLY here!

Husband telling everybody: It will be so great that Kate's 2nd birthday will be on Derby. I can't wait!

Me: No words, just rolling my eyes.

So, there you have it folks. TWO years in the making and our little Joey, I mean Kate, gets to have her Kentucky Derby party. Of course, we can't just have our families over to watch the Run for the Roses, we have to have a proper Kentucky Derby/Birthday party soiree! Since my mom hails from outside of Louisville and had a pretty good stash of vintage Kentucky derby paraphernalia, I've decided that a lovely pink, gray and sepia colored palette will serve as the background for the party. In an effort not to make this post so incredibly long and painfully boring, I'll share pictures of things I've been collecting in a few more posts along with fun DIY projects. Then make sure you check back sometime after May 7th for the full report! Giddy up!

(Where it all began...2 years ago 5/7/9)

2 comments:

sara said...

This is so crazy...I found your blog because I am googling ideas for a derby party for my two year old boy. We live in Louisville but I went to high school at Walton Verona! My mom was a teacher at the elementary school! Small world! (Another coincidence...my daughter's party last year was a candy shoppe theme!)
Anyway, I can't wait to see the ideas you come up with. Though ours will not be vintage-y, I'm looking for all the ideas I can get. I found a tablescape that I am very inspired by. If you are interested, email me and I'll send it over to you! sarabethfloyd@yahoo.com

Melissa said...

How awesome! We wanna come up for this so bad! We'll see if it works out! Miss you sister!