Monday, June 11, 2012

5k

I did it!  It was almost a year ago that I told myself sometime within this next year, get your butt up and get outside.  I had told myself from the beginning I didn't care if I walked all of it, ran all of it, or a combination of both.  Just do a 5k.  So, last weekend that's exactly what my friend Jill and I did.
 

I'm NOT a morning person by any stretch of the imagination.  Unless its A) Christmas morning, B) the morning of a party, or C) an awesome yard sale you will find me still yawning and carrying on until probably close to 11:00 am.  But, Saturday the 2nd, I was up with the birds.  Even up before my hubby and Kate were up.  I snuck out of the house to meet up with my friend. 

Jill's 5k attire (sunglasses and iphone case) compliments of her teenage sister!  Ha! 
Let me tell you about my friend/5k buddy Jill.  She is this BURST of sunshine and energy.  The funniest person I've ever met in my entire life.  She can have me doubled over in stitches laughing and crying and unable to breath from laughing so hard within seconds of seeing her.  Sometimes even just thinking about some of the crazy stuff we've done together makes me laugh out loud.  She's just one of those kinds of people that just make your day when you see them or talk to them.  Now my funny little friend Jill has worked her @#$ off this past year and has really accomplished some AMAZING fitness goals that I only wish I could/had the motivation to do!  She is a total 5k pro.  I couldn't have asked for a better person to have my first 5k experience with! 

We headed across the river to Cincinnati to our 5k destination.  This particular 5k was in honor off a little gal named Becca.  (More on that in a bit)

It wasn't a huge 5k, but just enough people that I didn't feel overwhelmed or super intimidated.  They already had burgers cooking for the after party and that certainly motivated me to get back there as quickly as possible! 

We started with the walkers and headed on our way.  The course winded through a lovely, lovely neighborhood.  We had almost as much fun talking about the houses we saw along the way as we did walking!  We walked fast and ran some.  My friend beat her personal best time, so for me that was a win! 

At certain markers in the course, like at every .5 miles, they had yard signs with encouraging messages to the 5k participants.  They also had some statistics about Becca's fight with Leukemia.  Heart breaking to see the numbers on what that brave little girl went through and made you pick up your pace and take your mind off of your feet pounding the pavement. 

It was a fun morning and Jill and I were proud to support childhood cancer research here locally at Cincinnati's Children's Hospital.  You can watch Channel 5's story on the event here.  Race For Cure Inspired By Young Cancer Patient | WLWT Home - WLWT Home


I thought a lot about Misty that day too.  I hosted her baby shower that evening. Finishing that 5k couldn't have been a more perfect way to begin the day with helping raise money to find a cure for cancer and to end the day with such a fun celebration with Misty! 
 
Only 9 more days in my 20's!

No comments: