Wednesday, March 14, 2012

kitchen revamp part 2

White cabinets were not an option for us at the design center. They were considered an upgrade, and a rather expensive one at that. We picked a kitchen cabinet that would be both simple to paint, but also looked good while they weren’t painted. We chose a super flat profile with not a lot of wood grain.


I was in charge of painting the cabinets while Joey was working on the countertops. Scared out of my gourd. What if I mess them up? What if they look like garbage? I can’t tell you how many times I watched this video on Young House Love to make sure I was even doing it right.

I started with the smallest cabinet in the kitchen. It took me an entire week. Not. Cool.

I slowly started to find my stride and found that doing several doors at a time is the way to go. I knew there was no way I could tackle all of them at the same time since I was doing most of my work on the weekends and in the late evenings after the kiddo went to bed.

I chose a Benjamin Moore color "Mascarpone" which is a soft white and had it mixed in Clark & Kensington paint found at Ace. I wanted the island to have a pop of color so I used "Grand Hotel Mackinac Blue" by Valspar there. It’s on the same paint color swatch with Aqua Glow but I talked myself right out of the Aqua Glow long ago.

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/90321_Valspar-5007-9A-Grand-Hotel-Mackinac-Blue#!prettyPhoto

I sanded, used liquid sandpaper, 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. They paint covered well and I’m hoping for several years of enjoying our white cabinets. For those of you (aheeemmm, dad) who I know are naysayers about painted cabinets that they scratch or whatevs, I think the paint will hold up just fine! Plus, I’ve already had to wipe down a few of the doors due to lil’ sticky fingers trying to get to her goldfish in the cabinet and it seems to wash well too.

I love the end result! The knobs and drawer pulls are from Home Depot, Martha Stewart and if you live in the tri-state area I do apologize because we’ve cleaned out just about every Home Depot store in the area of this particular type.  (I don't know why the knob looks so much bigger than the pull, but that's not the case in real life.)

So there you have it folks. Thirty-something (I lost count) drawer fronts, doors and cabinet bases painted. My adventures in cabinet painting are officially over. And let’s just for the record keep it real because it’s my blog and I’ll complain if I want to. Hands down this was the worst DIY project I’ve ever tackled. I hope it doesn’t discourage any of you from doing it, just be very prepared for this to consume your life and take nearly f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Waaahhh wahhhh. Rich people problems, huh?

Speaking of rich people problems, and not that we are rich. Trust me. Not even close. But, we will have a few extra pennies in our account every month because our days of being real estate moguls and having 2 lovely mortgage payments monthly are OVER! We sold our beloved house and closed on March 6th. What a gigantic sigh of relief. We had been waiting for our house to sell to get some of the finer things in life, like a landline and the internet. Hence why all of the bloggy posts all of a sudden  :)

Next kitchen post, tying up the loose ends. It’s almost done!

No comments: